Total Pageviews

Sunday 25 June 2017

Boston Tea Party

 Welcome to Boston and a tea party of sorts. Here there were no dainty sandwiches, scones with jam and cream and copious cups of tea. No. Here we were to learn how the Americans relish their independence from we Brits and how it all came about.

Boston is also known as Beantown which refers to the regional dish of baked beans (cooked in molasses back in colonial days). I have to say we didn't find anywhere serving this dish. The Boston cream pie is a favourite sweet treat but the city seems most famous for its lobster rolls; obviously not a vegetarian option! Whilst the family tucked in to lobby rolls I enjoyed another American favourite - Mac 'n' cheese cooked right in front of me in Quincy Market. Rich and Delish. My worst meal in Boston was a veggie burger made from beans, rice and beetroot. It was the colour of pink flesh and looked like raw mincemeat. Ew! I asked the waiter if I could offer some feedback and said the colour was particularly off putting for vegetarians. He thanked me and took away my barely touched food and then proceeded to charge me for it! I guess there was nothing really wrong with it in their eyes.



Boston is home to the TV show Cheers and a popular drink here is a pint of Samuel Adams ( the namesake being one of the sons of Liberty). I enjoyed the light summer variety. 


Cheers indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment