Total Pageviews

Sunday 22 October 2017

Baby steps

I've touched upon it before. The fact that livestock production uses a third of the world's fresh water and that their emissions produce greenhouse gases. That, along with providing animal food, the land used to raise them and the transportation issues. Every time I read an article with these statistics it just blows my mind. Why? Why are we doing this to our planet? 

As vegetarians we probably do our "bit" but a bit could be bettered. Sustainability is the buzz word at the moment and we must all take responsibility for our actions to ensure the health of our environment.

Eating a plant-based diet which includes vegetables, fruit, nuts and legumes is one answer. Sourcing these things locally, seasonally and sustainably is another. We also need to be mindful; eating smaller portions, shopping only for what we can use and avoiding food waste.

It isn't easy. I eat bananas but there is no way I can grow them or buy from local producers. I can buy Fairtrade and only buy what I can use. Small actions which can make a difference if we all do something

Recently I was encouraged to go back to having milk delivered. True, it is more expensive than the supermarket but at least I know it is produced locally so I am supporting local dairy farmers and not having it transported across the country. Also it is four days fresher than supermarket milk and it actually does taste nicer.


So let's jump on the sustainability trend and milk it for all it's worth!

No comments:

Post a Comment