Total Pageviews

Sunday 15 October 2017

Not mushroom for improvement

I've now become addicted to looking up the food significance of days in the calendar. Today, in the USA, it is National Mushroom Day. Mushrooms tend to have the Marmite effect, ie you love-em or hate-em. I am in the first group 'tho' don't like what I call funny mushrooms! Give me a button, chestnut or portobello but I'll pass on the rest. 

Many people find them a good replacement for meat because of the sheet meatiness of them. They are certainly filling and satisfying but I find some too slippery and slimy.

They are a good source of Protein, Vitamin D and Potassium.

I like them in omelettes, risottos, soup and cooked parmigiana style. 

However, you can't beat the simplicity of mushrooms on toast. My favourite method is to sauté them in butter, garlic and thyme, season with pepper and serve on toasted soda bread, topped with a poached egg. Divine.



Just got to hope you have a fun-guy joining you for brunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment