Total Pageviews

Sunday 19 November 2017

Crummy Brummie

A weekend break near Birmingham. A corporate event on Friday night and this was my place name card.



Great. They don't have my name but they do (more importantly) know that I'm vegetarian (although they couldn't spell it!) The meal was okay if not very adventurous; halloumi on lentils followed by a rather soggy filo mushroom tart.

The following morning at breakfast I watched a chef making omelettes to order. He had two on the go; one with ham and one vegetarian. The same spatula was used to stir both. I did challenge him about this and he apologised and produced a fish slice for the vegetarian one. I'm not going to name and shame the hotel as this probably goes on the length and breadth of the country in every B&B, hotel, pub and restaurant.

If you weren't vegetarian you wouldn't understand. My family know that utensils must be kept separate for meat, fish and vegetarian but only because I've brought them up that way. There is an element of "if you don't know it won't kill you" but I really think there should be some rules and regulations in place for working kitchens as part of the food hygiene training and certification. Raising awareness would certainly put our vegetarian minds at rest.

By the way, I didn't get to sample any of the Brummie culinary delights but can always eat some of the vegetarian foods which were invented in Birmingham. Typhoo Tea, HP Sauce, Bird's Custard and, of course, Cadbury's chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment