Total Pageviews

Sunday 12 November 2017

Parsley Sage Rosemary and Thyme

As the glorious clear skies and sunshine of late autumn days turn to cold nights and frosty mornings, I see my rather sad looking herb garden. Where once there was an abundance of chives, oregano, marjoram, mints, basil and parsley, I am left with the hardier sage, thyme and rosemary. 

(My herb garden in June).

Luckily I have preserved some herbs for the months ahead:-

a) Freezing - basil, mint, chives washed, dried and stored in freezer bags.
b) Drying - marjoram, oregano and parsley tied at the stem & hung in a cool dry area.

This means they can be enjoyed during the winter months. They are never quite as nice as fresh but very useful in soups and stews where they just be crumbled in.

Herbs add a fresh taste to food. If I only had a small garden or a pot on a balcony I would definitely give it over to herbs. Not only do they look and smell amazing but it's a wonderful feeling to just go outside, snip a few home grown leaves and perk up a meal. 

After all, we are herb(ivores)!

No comments:

Post a Comment